Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Music, Music, and Music

Coming to Vienna, I knew I was entering a city completely enveloped in a passion for music. Everyone, everyone told me that seeing an opera is an absolute must. So, I came here and had one mission: see operas. Now, almost 3 months into my program (eek!), I have seen 5 operas. What I realized from all of this: I really did not know that much about opera at all. Like...nothing. I knew a few of the big ones, but didn't exactly know all of the storylines. I felt especially foolish when I went to an opera and realized that I had sung an aria from it...once the performer was a few lines in. My reaction: "Wait, what? That song was from this opera?! Now I feel dumb for not even knowing the context behind it...I probably could have performed it better had I known this opera."
So what operas have I seen?
Don Giovanni - the sets were too simplistic for my taste, but who couldn't enjoy Don Giovanni?
Alcina - absolutely amazing, I loved everything about it. The staging was beautiful and the costumes were fantastic. (This is also the opera from which said aria is)
Madame Butterfly - meh. I really wanted to like it, but the performance was horrible. Although the staging and costuming were very very engaging.
Die Zauberflöte (The Magic Flute; I always want to say it in German for some reason) - Holy crap, I LOVED this. Absolutely amazing in every way it could possibly be. The costumes were gorgeous and elaborate, the performers had strong voices and perfect execution, the set was breathtaking. I just don't have anything else to say other than how righteous it was.
Carmen - My first opera at die Volksoper (everything else was at die Staatsoper). It was a different experience in a very good way. I loved the sets; the costumes (especially for Carmen, herself) were beautiful. I am very glad that I had the opportunity to see an opera here.

But don't worry, if opera isn't really your cup of tea (because it definitely isn't everyone's favorite thing to listen to), there is more to the Viennese music scene than opera and orchestras. Since I've been here, I have been able to see three other musical performances. The first, an open-mic night at a small club in the first district. A student on my program signed up for the open-mic and a bunch of us showed up to support. It wasn't anything fancy, but it was a cool way to experience a different genre of music in Vienna. Then, another small club that hosted IES for a "party" at which a student band performed. To say the least, they were great. They are all extremely talented and I loved being able to see my peers perform at a club in Vienna. And the third one, a soul/funk/jazz show at the same small club. All the performers were originally from the United States and have been living in Vienna for who knows how long, playing gigs whenever they can. This was a great night. We met the musicians, talked to them about studying and living in Vienna, living in the United States, and plans for the future. They played some very danceable music and we all had an amazing time. I got to meet some other really cool people and talk to them about their traveling experiences. This is the kind of scene that I really love. Yes, I love the opera and going to symphonies. But what I truly love are these small venues/clubs that cater to the locals, the common people, the people who love all kinds of music. I love being in social environments that allow me to meet new people and experience new things and talk to people about their crazy experiences.
My next goal: go to a few jazz performances. There's a jazz and blues festival-type thing going on this month in Wien and I definitely want to hit up some of the (free!) shows.
This is what I miss when I'm at school - the events that large cities offer. There is actually something cool going on all the time here and I feel like I'm missing out on so many of them! Oh well, I'll be happy as long as I make it to at least a few along the way.

In other news, Gustavo Dudamel is coming to the Musikverein to conduct the Wiener Philharmoniker (Vienna Philharmonic) and I AM going. I love him. I need to figure out this ticket situation pronto.

Now, I'm off to do that unwanted homework...goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment