Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Día de los Muertos in Wien - who would have thunk?

Although it was nowhere close to being as awesome as the celebrations back home (in Los Angeles), celebrating Día de los Muertos in Vienna was still fun. I got to discover the Hispanic part of Vienna, found an awesome store that sells Mexican products (jewelry, calaveras, tiles, decorations, etc.), and found a Mexican market that sells EVERYTHING I could ever want to make some awesome Mexican food - tortillas and salsa verde and everything!! I’m super stoked and I may have to go back and splurge on some groceries there. This is also the place in which the celebrations ensued.

I had two tamales: one salsa verde con pollo and one mole con pollo. I had a cup of champurrado that was DELICIOUS. I ate pan dulce: a chocolate concha, one of my faves. I drank a dos equis and I got to enjoy 4 free shots of some ridiculously good tequila. I was able to introduce some of my friends to this awesome celebration and they loved it. They were so stoked for the food and asked me questions about all of it and about the holiday, itself. I got to hang out with some cool people, eat amazing food, and drink some great drinks. It was also nice to spend an evening surrounded by people speaking Spanish. I got to use some of my Spanish-speaking skills, too, but found that I kept mixing it with German! Therefore, I’ve created a new language: Deutisch (Deutsch plus Spanisch). Yea, I’m just mixing up all sorts of languages now.

One thing that blew my mind was how many languages the owner of the market spoke. German, Spanish, English, and I definitely heard a few French phrases come out of this mouth. It was amazing - especially how quickly he could switch between all of them!

I’d say I’ve had my fix of Mexican culture for the time being. But, who knows, maybe I’ll partake in more celebrations tomorrow! There is at least one thing going on tomorrow evening that I know of. I guess it pays off to email the Mexican Embassy in Vienna after not being able to find any Día de los Muertos events myself. I’m loving how my day turned out. I'll post pictures of tonight soon! :]

Felíz el Día de los Muertos <3

No comments:

Post a Comment