Thursday, November 10, 2011

Food blogs will save my life

Learning to live on your own can be a rocky process. When we move away for college, we're still ridiculously spoiled by our schools: we don't need to clean bathrooms, we don't need to cook due to the dining halls(s), we don't need to make our own coffee (unless you work at the school's café *ahem*), and we're conveniently located within a 5-10 minute walk to any and all of our classes, meetings, shifts at work, etc. Now that I'm living in Vienna, most of these amenities are no longer available...actually, none of them are. Yea, I lived in my own house this summer, but I still worked on campus and ate at least one, if not two, meal on campus (although, I did have to make my own coffee...but I love doing that, so it's okay) everyday. So, I was still a little spoiled. One of the biggest challenges of living on my own has been food. What the hell am I supposed to eat? Especially when I am on a very very tight budget. I fell into a meal routine very early on in the semester, which included the following:

Breakfast: Yogurt with Müsli, fruit (a banana or apple), and honey and a cup of coffee.

Lunch: a sandwich with salami, spinach, tomato, cheese, mustard, cucumber, and sometimes onion and/or mushrooms. Usually I also had some sort of small snack with lunch - pretzel sticks, chips, a piece of fruit, a fruit bar, or Manner.

Dinner: Pasta, sometimes with chicken, and a salad.

Yea, it's not that exciting. I mean, the breakfast is fine. I'm not a huge breakfast person to begin with and I actually really like having that everyday. The lunch is whatever, I'm definitely getting bored with it, but I just don't know what else to make that's easy enough to pack up with me and take to school. But now, dinner. Dinner got old pretty fast. Pasta. Everyday. Pasta. Sure, I made roasted chicken breast with potatoes once, and then I made some chicken broth with those leftovers, which then led to a soup. I guess the one good thing about the pasta was that I always made my own sauces, so it tasted a little different each time and I've definitely saved money that way. But uhh I'm still bored with the staples of pasta, chicken, and salad. So, it has finally come to the point where I'm seriously ready to change it up.
This is where the food blogs come in. I've followed a few of these blogs for a while, but always just made bookmarks of the recipes I liked and never really made them...except for a couple this summer. But now I want to change that. For example, tonight I just made this little number.

Granted, I didn't have all of the ingredients, but I just made substitutions and altered it a little bit and it came out tasting completely DELICIOUS. It's a nice change from the same old pasta, that's for sure. Also, last night I made fajitas! That recipe wasn't from a food blog, but was one that my father had sent me. They turned out great and now i have dinner for 2 more nights! This idea emerged from the fact that I had found that Mexican market in Vienna last week. I went back yesterday afternoon to buy tortillas and salsa and then came home, made the fajitas, and went to bed with a very happy and full stomach :]. Up next, I'm ready to make a quesadilla for lunch tomorrow! I'm ready to try some of these other delicious-looking recipes that keep popping up on my blog homepage very soon. Yea, I'm finally (albeit, slowly) climbing out of this boring food routine.




YAY FOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment