Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Post-Music Festival

I know it’s been several days since I’ve written anything here about the music festival, but it was a super busy weekend and I really didn’t have time to update this.
Everyday began at 9am and didn’t end until sometime around or after midnight – the earliest I went to sleep was last night around 1130. The festival was fun, I really enjoyed it and I’m glad that I got to watch a few of the performances, too. The entire program was really amazing. Some of my favorites included:
Indian Ragas with Aashish Khan and Javad Ali Butah; they were amazing in both of the performances I saw. I had never heard Indian Ragas before and I was just blown away by them.
Frank Zappa performed by Ensemble Modern, conducted by Brad Lubman; although I didn’t get to see much of the actual concert, I was able to see a lot of the rehearsals and it was all so cool to watch and listen to. I also took some videos of the rehearsals:



George Benjamin’s opera Into the Little Hill with Anu Komsi and Hilary Summers; it was [obviously] very contemporary and different from anything else I have ever heard and I know a few people weren’t huge fans of it, but I really did enjoy it. I think Hilary Summers has an amazing contralto voice and she did extremely well. And Anu Komsi, she hit that high D so easily and naturally each time. Also, it had a good message so who can’t appreciate that? Here’s some video from those rehearsals:



Needless to say, it was a busy and exhausting weekend. Sunday was probably when I was the most tired; I ended up taking a short nap in box office haha. But, I did enjoy it. Amongst all the chaos, running around, malfunctioning phones, and a sold out show, I got to listen to some great music, meet some amazing people and have fun every so often. Speaking of meeting people, this weekend I did get to meet Serni from Puget Sound and I believe he’s going to be doing a story about the Ojai Music Festival in Arches, a newspaper in Tacoma. He was taking pictures of different things and people at the festival. I also found out that he has read my blog – another unexpected reader haha. I am definitely planning on setting up a time to meet with him in August. Also, I met a woman who works at KUSC and we started talking about radio and the ups and downs and stresses that working at a station can bring about, but also how much fun and rewarding it is at the same time.
I experienced a lot this past weekend and I’m glad that I was able to be a part of this team to put on this festival. Working with Christiana, Katie, and Kayla was great; I think we all worked together really well. I hope I can come back next year to experience it all again! I only have a few more days left here in Ojai, and it’s weird. I can’t believe it’s over. Of course, we do have a few more things to wrap up and finish. But, for the most part, it’s done.
By the way, Jeff, I didn’t come up with some secret code or way of writing your name so that my blog wouldn’t pop up on your Google Alerts, I just haven’t been writing anything. I’m sure this did show up, though!

Anyway, I hope you’ve all enjoyed these posts about the festival at least a little bit. I don’t know when I’ll be writing on here again. Until then, bye and have a good rest of the summer!

Oh, p.s., I found out that I got into the Business Leadership Program at the puge! That was exciting and I’m looking forward to starting it all in the fall!! :]
Also, it is ridiculously hot in SoCal. I’m ready for some nice cool fall weather in Tacoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment