Sunday, September 18, 2011

Music

After experiencing a year of hell as a Music major my freshman year, I changed majors and decided to pursue a minor in Music rather than a major - I was almost done with the minor, so it made sense to just finish it off. Now, in the beginning of my junior year, I am studying abroad in Vienna, the center of the music world. My plans for the rest of college included taking 2 more music classes and then never thinking about it again. After this semester, I will only need one elective music class to complete the minor. I was not planning on doing choir anymore or taking part in any musical activities for the rest of my college career. However, now that I have had an entire summer off of music and am one month into a music-less semester, I am realizing that I miss singing so much. I never expected to miss it. I always thought "I've had enough of this stress and bullshit and I don't want to have to deal with it again." I'm surprising myself so much and when I received an email from my choir director at Puget Sound asking if I was planning on auditioning this semester (she didn't know that I'm abroad), it really reinforced my want to continue my participation in choir when I go back to the States. I am currently listening to The Phantom of the Opera - a musical that I literally grew up listening to - and am seriously fighting the urge to sing. It's music like this - The Phantom, Wicked, The Sound of Music, West Side Story, etc - that I grew up on, that makes me realize how much I really love music and singing and how much I appreciate amazing compositions. I love how I feel when I listen to great music, I get chills and I just fall in love with the songs all over again. Music is one of the most beautiful things I have ever experienced.


P.s. I went to Amsterdam, Athens, and Paros this past week, so be prepared for a really long post at some point. Hopefully I'll get it done today. Also, facebook is being really annoying and isn't uploading my pictures. So, if you're friends with me on there and notice that there are only about 4 pictures up, it's not my fault!! Facebook is making me mad. I'll try to post many pictures on here, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment