Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Purple

I know this is a music blog, but this topic is too important to go on unacknowledged.

Today is a special day. I’m wearing purple all over the place and so is everyone I know. This is in memory of all people in the LGBTQ community who have been victims of suicide due to bullying. What is happening is not okay and we need to raise awareness on this issue. No one should ever see suicide as the only solution. I’m not just talking about LGBTQ bullying, just in general. Everyone should know and realize that there is ALWAYS something else - a way to make things better. No matter how alone or depressed anyone may ever feel, there is always at least one person out there who cares dearly for you and would want to know that you’re going through a rough patch. Tell someone, talk to people, they’ll listen. Or if you don’t feel comfortable talking to anyone you know, talk to a counselor - that’s what they’re there for. I’m pretty sure every college campus has counseling services available for students FOR FREE. Puget Sound does, use it. There are so many options and steps that can be taken before anyone should ever think of hurting themselves.

Trust me, I know this. There was a time when I was feeling so completely low in every aspect of my life and I felt so alone and I hated it. Although I never got to the point of even considering suicide or hurting myself, it was a difficult time and everyday I have a lingering worry that something might set me off again and cause me to fall back into that horrible place. But one thing I learned from that is this: there are always people who are there to support you. All you need to do is take the courageous step to let them know you’re not okay and that you really need someone. Not only is it so nice to have someone to talk to about everything, but it makes you realize how much you really do have. Family and friends - they’re around to help.

If you’re a Puget Sound student, PLEASE go to the Suicide Prevention Presentation today. It’s only an hour or so out of your busy day and it will be a huge help for everyone to simply be informed of the details around suicide and signs to look out for. I know I’ve really been pushing this event and as the RSA Vice Chair I feel like this is one of the most important events we’ll be putting on all year. Sadly, I can’t even go to my own event [I have a previous academic commitment] and I’m upset about that. But I truly hope that everyone who has that open gap in their evenings goes to this. Maybe you can’t make the whole thing, that’s fine. Come late or leave early, just be a part of it. And go to the Candlelight Vigil afterward. I’ll be there. This event is to raise awareness and provide aid for people and it would be great to see such a large part of our campus come together for something that is so sensitive, emotional, and important. Candles are going to be provided, but if you have one, bring it just in case. We don’t know how many people will exactly be there, but I’m hoping for a large turnout.

Anyway, there’s my spiel. I hope it did something for you.
Oh, and look at the facebook event for more details right here

No comments:

Post a Comment