Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I'm actually getting really bad at updating this

It seems like I only write something on here about once a month - if that. My life hasn't been filled with much music lately, just the same old choir rehearsals and voice lessons. Actually, last week I asked my voice teacher if I could sing one of my all time favorite songs. I prefaced it with "this may be a bit unconventional but..." I thought it was appropriate, because the song I asked about is a little unconventional for a classical voice department at a school of music that focuses solely on classical performance and dabbles in jazz. The song is Think of Me from The Phantom of the Opera. Now, I know it may not be the most challenging of songs, but it's a song that I love. I grew up listening to The Phantom of the Opera - just like all the kids do, right? - and it's probably one of the reasons why I have become so involved with music and singing. It marked the beginning of my growing love for music and it's a play that I still love and a soundtrack that I still blast every so often in my dorm. I'm just so connected to the whole thing and this song is one of the only solo ones I could think of that is for a soprano voice. Anyway, so I asked and he said that he'll check with those in charge. He didn't name names, but I know who he's talking about: her, "upstairs," both literally and figuratively speaking. So, I guess I'll find out the final decision once we get back from spring break! I hope she says it's fine, I'd love to sing that song.

In other not so relevant news, in exactly 17 days I will find out whether or not I'll be spending my summer in Washington, D.C. I don't know if I mentioned this previously, but I applied for an internship with NPR for this coming summer in D.C. I actually applied for three internships with them. We'll see what happens, I've done all I need to and can at this point and all that's left for me to do is wait. It's actually a very difficult task. I can't tell you how many times it crosses my mind, how many times I check my calendar to see how many more weeks or days until I'll know for sure. I also hate the feeling of uncertainty. It's not so much being nervous about not getting the internship, but more of not knowing exactly where I'll be this summer or what I'll be doing. I like to have these sorts of things figured out pretty far in advance. Also, I won't be completely heart broken if I don't get the internship. I mean, I will probably have a heart attack and die if I do get it. I will be so ridiculously excited and thankful and oh my god, I just don't even know. It would just be amazing. But, at the same time, I'll be okay with not getting it, too. If I don't get it, that means I can spend the summer here, in Tacoma, and hopefully work at Diversions and live with some friends while saving up money to study abroad [oh, have I mentioned that? I'll get to it in a bit] and maybe even take a class to fulfill my last core requirement. I would actually love to spend my summer in Tacoma. So many of my friends are staying in the area, it would be so much fun, and having an almost-full-time job will be really nice and an easy way to save up money for the Fall semester. I'd also take a 3-week vacation to do my internship at the Ojai Music Festival, again. I loved it so much last year and had so much fun and they asked me back this year, so why the hell not? It's a great experience and a great environment with amazing people who I got to know really well last year. Basically, I have a back up plan. Either way, I'll be happy with what I do this summer. It's just a matter of waiting for NPR's decision. I'll keep you posted.
As I mentioned for a split second, I'm going abroad next semester! I'm going to the epicenter of music: Vienna, Austria. It's going to be an amazing experience. I've always equated college with studying abroad. I mean, to me, it just seems obvious that one would go abroad for a least a semester to study and completely immerse oneself in a different culture. I can't wait. In addition, one of my really good friends, Rachael, is going abroad with the same program as I am! So it will be nice to have a friendly face around; we've already started talking about things we want to do and places we want to go. While abroad, I'm hoping to keep this blog going. At that point, it will expand to more than just music, it will be a general travel blog about everything going on with me in Vienna and every other city I visit! It will probably still be mostly focused on music, though, because it is the city of music and I plan on going to operas and concerts galore.
Alright, I think I'm going to get ready for bed and watch some of The Sound of Music [have I mentioned that I'm a music nerd?] - goodnight!

Random thought: Maybe I should update this more often so that my posts don't become so ridiculously long.

No comments:

Post a Comment